My boys love fried chicken! Of all of the “Food Challenges” they have presented to me, this one was the greatest challenge.
Believe me; I have the scars to prove it, and I have cooked through a LOT of vegetable oil.
I am a northern girl. Fried chicken does not come easily to me. With trial and error, I have finally arrived at what the boys consider the gold star. IT IS A WINNER , WINNER….
Whip this up with some homemade waffles- recipe attached (I am not kidding,) and some sweet corn on the cob which is now in season, and you will be the belle/beau of the ball!
WHAT YOU NEED:
Two large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup flour
One teaspoon kosher salt
Two teaspoons of Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A dash of paprika
Two extra-large eggs
One tablespoon milk
1 1/4 cups Panko bread crumbs
Two tablespoons of unsalted butter
WHAT TO DO:
- Remove the chicken from the package and pat dry (no need to rinse)
- Place one chicken breast on your cutting board and slice across each breast so that your have approximately three 1” filets. Repeat with the second breast.
- Place a piece of parchment paper over each filet and pound the chicken until it is about 1/4” thick
- Place a plate, and then a bowl then another plate on the counter
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper on the first plate
- Beat the eggs and milk in the shallow bowl
- Mix the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and paprika together and put them on the third plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and two tablespoons of butter in a large sauté pan and heat until the butter is melted and the oil is hot but not smoking
- Toss the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture
- Then, dip each fillet into the egg mixture shaking off excess.
- Dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, covering all sides
- Place the filets in the oil and butter mixture and cook in batches for about 3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Be careful not to crowd the pan
- Remove the crumbs from the pan between batches and Add more butter and oil as needed
- Remove the filets from the pan and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Once all the chicken has been fried on each side place it into a preheated oven at 375 until the internal temperature reaches 165.
Step aside, Bisquick. These waffles are sweet, airy and dee Eee Lish.
WHAT YOU NEED
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
One tablespoon white sugar
Four teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat waffle iron. Beat eggs in large bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, just until smooth
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
Sparkle on, Friends!